Dr. (Mrs.) Mercy Derkyi, a lecturer at the Department of Forest Science has attended a Management Development Workshop (MADEV V) organised by the Association of African Universities (AAU) in collaboration with the University of Cape Coast (UCC).
The MADEV V which was held at the University of Cape Coast from 5th-9th May, 2014 was attended by representatives of African Universities from countries such as Botswana, Ghana, Nigeria, Tanzania, South Africa and Zimbabwe. The 5 day training programme was facilitated by renowned specialists in the areas of:
a) Strategic thinking in planning and management;
b) Managing University Research, Monitoring and Evaluation;
c) Communication and Public Relations in the University; and
d) Transformational Leadership of University Faculties and Departments.
About AAU & MADEV
AAU is an organisation which serves as a forum for consultation, exchange of information and co-operation among institutions of higher education in Africa. The AAU MADEV is a platform to build capacity of human resources of and strengthen networking among universities. Itprovidesmanagers of higher education institutions (HEIs) with appropriate skills and information to help them appreciate the environment in which they are operating and effectively use resources at their disposal for the achievement of organisational goals. Participants are able to gain a better understanding of what it means to be a university manager within the changing context of higher education in Africa. MADEV generally targets newly appointed Pro/Deputy Vice Chancellors, Vice Rectors, Deans, Deputy Deans, Directors/Coordinators of Institutes and Heads of Academic Departments. Nevertheless, holders of these positions who are in their first term of office as well as persons who are aspiring to these positions are potential participants.
Reflections on the AAU MADEV V
According to Dr. (Mrs.) Mercy Derkyi, participating in MADEV V has enabled her to gain deeper insight into the following:
- A strategic thinker is one who is governed by reflection before acting instead of impulse;
- A strategic plan is developed not written as it is a continuous process, internalised ideas and inclusive process;
- The manager as a strategist analyses issues, take decisions and put discussions into actions to achieve sustainable competitive advantage;
- Monitoring and Evaluation starts from conceptualisation stage of a proposal ;
- An effective Research M&E is a tool to stimulate public interest in funding research and makes universities more relevant to changing times, since change is a process not an event;
- An effective Research M&E facilitates communication of research outputs to various stakeholders for uptake;
- Communication is an effective tool for universities to get public support;
- Effective Public relation and communication lift the image of universities and facilitate harmony between universities and stakeholders as well as the general public ;
For more information on AAU, please visit www.aau.org.