Dr. Appiahene Peter is a renowned scholar of international repute. He obtained his Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology (IT) in 2009 from the University of Education, Winneba-Ghana and Master of Philosophy in Information Technology in 2014 from the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology-Ghana. Peter Appiahene is a Lecturer in both Computer Science and Information Technology. He, however, started his education at Cambridge International School-Kumasi for his Basic Education before proceeding to Kumasi High School in Kumasi to study General Science for his Secondary School Education.
Dr. Appiahene Peter began his academic career in 2010 and has since risen from Secondary School Tutor to a University Lecturer and did his PhD in Computer Science at Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology-Ghana. A special focus of his PhD work was on determining the operational efficiency of a bank using Machine Learning Algorithms.
He is currently a Lecturer at the Department of Computer Science and Informatics and a research fellow at the Earth Observation Research and Innovation Center (EORIC) all at the University of Energy and Natural Resources. Dr. Appiahene has been working as a consultant and researcher in the area of Computer Science and Information Technology for about 5 years. He is the System & Application Development Officer for a research and project group working on a project funded by Skills Development Fund (SDF2) to upscale the Advanced Fire Information System (AFIS) project by providing farmers and other stakeholders with early fire detection and alert information in the form of voice and SMS alerts as well as a smartphone application.
He is an editorial board member of three international refereed journals and has also served as a reviewer for international conferences. He has several publications that have appeared in both international referred journals and conference proceedings and have made a presentation at conferences such as the 11th European Conference on Game-Based Learning (ECGBL October 2017) in Graz, Austria and the 2016 Conference on Teaching Large Classes Virginia Tech, Virginia USA.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Accredited Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Accredited Member, IEEE Computer Society
- Member, Regional Studies Association
- Accredited Member, Alliance for Affordable Internet
- Accredited Member, International Association of Engineers (IAENG)
- Accredited Member Information Technology Association of Ghana (ITAG)
- Accredited Member of Internet Society
- Ghana Science Association.
- University Teachers Association of Ghana (UTAG)
- Artificial Intelligence and Deep Learning
- Cloud Computing and Networking
- Sentiment Analysis
- Data Science
- ICT4D in Africa
Refereed Journal Papers
- Appiahene, P., Missah, Y. M., & Najim, U. (2020). Predicting Bank Operational Efficiency Using Machine Learning Algorithm : Comparative Study of Decision Tree, Random Forest, and Neural Networks. Advances in Fuzzy Systems.
- Awoin, E., Appiahene, P., Gyasi, F., & Sabtiwu, A. (2020). Predicting the Performance of Rural Banks in Ghana Using Machine Learning Approach. Advances in Fuzzy Systems, 2020.
- Iddrisu, W. A., Appiahene, P., & Kessie, J. A. (2020). Effects of weather and policy intervention on COVID-19 infection in Ghana. ArXiv, 2005.00106. http://arxiv.org/abs/2005.00106
- Appiahene, P., & Missah, Y. M (2019). Predicting the Operational Efficiency of Banks in the presence of Information Technology Investment. International Journal of Advances in Electronics and Computer Science, 6(11), 1–6.
- Philip Sarfo-Manu, Gifty Siaw, Peter Appiahene (2019). Intelligent System for Credit Risk Management in Financial Institutions. International Journal of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (IJAIML) 9(2), DOI: 10.4018/IJAIML.2019070104.analysis of Information Technology Impact on Ghanaian Commercial Banks. Under Review
- Predicting the Operational Efficiency of Banks using their Information Technology: Decision Tree Algorithm Approach. Under Review.
- Peter Appiahene, Bryce Yaw Kesse and Christopher Bombie Ninfaakang.Article: Cloud Computing Technology Model for Teaching and Learning of ICT. International Journal of Computer Applications (0975-8887) Volume 143-No.5 June 2016. Published by Foundation of Computer Science, New York, USA.
- Appiahene Peter, Appiah Obed and Adekoya Adebayo Felix, “Users Satisfaction of Ubuntu Operating System”. Asian Journal of Mathematics and Computer Research 12(1): 54-62, 2016 ISSN: 2395-4205 (P), ISSN: 2395-4213 (O) International Knowledge Press, April 2016
- Appiahene Peter, Boateng Frank Laud, Floyd-Hockman Anthony, Onworna-Agyeman Anthony Lord and Opoku Michael,” Using Information and Communication Technology (ICT) to Predict Teachers Productivity”. International Journal of Innovation and Scientific Research, Vol. 2, No.2, pp. 348-355, June. 2014.
- Peter Appiahene, Opoku Michael and Alorwu D. K. Daniel. Article: Usage of Tonaton.Com by Buyers and Sellers: A Survey of Car Dealers in Kumasi Metropolis. International Journal of Computer Applications 96(14):6-10, June 2014. Published by Foundation of Computer Science, New York, USA.
- Appiahene Peter, Opoku Michael, Akweittey Emmanuel, Adoba Emmanuel, and Kwarteng Richard,” Assessing the Challenges of Teaching and Learning of Mathematics in Second Cycle Institutions in Ghana”. International Journal of Innovation and Applied Studies, Vol. 6 No. 3, pp. 362-368, July 2014
CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS AND POSTER PAPERS
- Predicting the Operational Efficiency of Banks in the Presence of Information Technology Investment Using Artificial Neural Network. Presented at the International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Soft Computing (ICAISC) Munich, Germany 3rd – 4th July 2019
- Improving Satellite images Resolutions using Generative Adversarial Network
2019 4th GEO Data Technology Conference, Vienna-Austria
- Appiahene, P., & Missah, Y. M. (2020). Bank Classification Algorithm: Case Study of Ghanaian Banks. IEEE 2019 International Conference on Communications, Signal Processing and Networks (ICCSPN), 1-6.https://doi.org/10.1109/iccspn46366.2019.9150171.
- Levitation of Language Studies Using Appiahene Gamification Model 5th International Conference on Applied Sciences and Technology (ICAST) held in September 2018 in Kumasi, Ghana.
- Promoting Education in rural Ghana through the use of wireless ad-hoc networks. 5th International Conference on Applied Sciences and Technology (ICAST) held in September 2018 in Kumasi, Ghana.
- Literature Review on IT impact on Organizational Productivity. 5th International Conference on Applied Sciences and Technology (ICAST) held in September 2018 in Kumasi, Ghana.
- Raising Students Programming Skills Using Appiahene Gamification Model. Accepted for Presentation at the incoming 11th European Conference on Game-Based Learning (ECGBL October 2017) in Graz, Austria.
- Promoting Afforestation for Sustainable Communities Using Gamification. International Conference on Climate Change and Sustainable Development in Africa (ICCCSDA) July 2017 Sunyani-Ghana.
- The role of ICT in the management of natural resources. Case study of applying GIS and Social Media in the fight against illegal mining in Ghana. International Conference on Climate Change and Sustainable Development in Africa (ICCCSDA) July 2017 Sunyani-Ghana.
- “Design and Implementation of Online-Learning platform with large class size. Case study at the University of Energy and Natural Resources-Ghana”. 2016 Conference on Teaching Large Classes Virginia Tech, Virginia USA.
- COVID-19 Pandemic and the Ghanaian Information Technology (IT) Industry. Published by Modern Ghana Online News Portal. https://www.modernghana.com/news/999605/covid-19-pandemic-and-the-ghanaian-information.html
SERVICE TO COMMUNITY
- Speaker for Online Forum on Digital Inclusion in the Time of Covid-19 organized by Alliance for Affordable Internet.
- Consultant for JoyNews PM Express Television Programme.
- Consultant and Mentor for Codetrain, Ghana.
- Consultant SDF II Project at UENR-Ghana
- Participant and Speaker for the 11th European Conference on Game-Based Learning (ECGBL 2017)
- Consultant and Panel Member for GrassRoots Hub, Ghana.
- Facilitator/ Independent Assessor for Global Polio Eradication Initiative.
- Participant and Speaker for the International Conference on Climate Change and Sustainable Development in Africa (ICCCSA 2017)
- Participant and Speaker for the 5th International Conference on Applied Sciences and Technology (ICAST 2018)
- Technical program committee member for 2019 2nd International Conference on Computer Applications and Information Security ICCAIS’19 Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- Designated Reviewer on the Editorial Committee for the Inter Journal for Computing and Digital Systems (IJCDS).
- Technical program committee for the IAES International Journal of Artificial Intelligence.
- Group Member Ghana Infrastructure Sharing and Open Access Working Group of Alliance for Affordable Internet.
- Designated Reviewer ICCISN’ 2018: International Conference on Computer Intelligent Systems & Networking Sousse, Tunisia,
- Technical program committee member for WSCAR 2017 (2017 World Symposium on Computer Applications & Research) Istanbul, Turkey
- Technical program committee member GSCIT 2016 (2016 Global Summit on Computer & Information Technology), Tunisia.
- Technical program committee Member for ICARCAD 2016 (2016 International Conference on Architectural Research & Computer-Aided Design). Italy
- Technical program committee member for the 2015 International Conference on Single Processing & Data Mining, (ICSDM’15), 05-07 November 2015 Rome Italy.
- Technical program committee member for the 4th International Conference on Advances in Computing, Communications and Informatics(ICACCI),10-13 August 2015 Kerala, India.
- Editorial Board Member, Seventh Sense Research Group Journals.
- Reviewer for the 6th International Workshop on Mobile Applications 2019 (MobiApps 2019):
- Reviewer for the Smart Cities Symposium 2019 (SCS’19).
- Reviewer for 2019 8th International Conference on Modeling, Simulation, and Applied Optimization (ICMSAO) (ICMSAO’19).
- Acting Head, Department of Computer Science and Informatics
- Member, University Academic Board
- Departmental Research and Seminar Coordinator
- Member University Housing and Residence Committee
- Member School of Sciences Undergraduate Project Committee
- Member School of Sciences Research and Seminar Committee
- University Examination Chief Invigilator
- Departmental Exams Officer
- Academic Counselor, Department of Computer Science and Informatics
- Development of an Advanced Fire Information System for fire detection and alert.
- Improving Satellite images by Deep Learning Approach.
- Modeling groundwater level changes in Ghana Using Deep Learning. Case study of Agricultural regions of Dormaa in the Bono Region.
- Bayesian Network model for liquidity risk assessment of Ghanaian Banks