To strengthen the effectiveness and cooperation in the framework of the DAAD funded project “ Biosphere Learning Laboratory Lake Bosomtwe (BL3B) Project (BL3B)” a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the University of Energy and Natural Resources (UENR), Ghana, and Eberswalde University for Sustainable Development (EUSB), Germany, has been signed on the 25th of January, 2021 and was led by the Vice-Chancellor of UENR, Prof. Elvis Asare-Bediako whereas Prof. Dr. Wilelm-Gunther Vahrson represented EUSD.
The purpose of the agreement is to promote cooperation between UENR and EUSD in the field of biosphere reserves management and other fields of mutual interests.
The Biosphere Learning Laboratory Lake Bosomtwe (BL3B) Project is a 4-year project (2020-2024), which seeks to contribute to biodiversity conservation and sustainable development of Lake Bosomtwe Biosphere Reserve, establish a strong professional network and foster relevant teaching and research in the participating institutions.
For the realization of the objectives of the project, both parties agreed among other things to focus on the:
1. Establishment and promotion of research activities, including bachelor and master research programmes.
2. Establishment of scientific cooperation in the field of biosphere reserves and other fields of mutual interests.
3. Promotion of the development and exchange of publications and documentation on current research.
4. Rendering of mutual assistance in raising the scientific and didactic qualifications of the academic staff.
5. Facilitating the development and implementation of studies and qualification offers in the field of biosphere reserves.
6. Enhancing the participation in other common activities in the framework of the project.
Outside the project, as mentioned above, academic staff and students of both universities can participate in exchanges based on individual or group invitations extended by the respective partners. Other participating institutions from Ghana are Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), University of Education, Winneba (UEW), Water Resource Commission (WRC), Forest Research Institute of Ghana (FORIG) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
The contact persons for the communication and coordination of joint activities are:
Dr. Yaw Boakye Agyeman
Address: Department of Ecotourism, Recreation and Hospitality
University of Energy and Natural Resources (UENR)
P. O. Box 214
Prof. Dr. Tobias Cremer
Professor for Forest Utilization and Timber Markets
Address: Alfred-Mӧller Str. 1, 16225 Eberswalde, Germany
Executive Director, Biosphere Reserves Institute
Address: Schicklerstr. 5, 16225 Eberswalde, Germany
HNEE has initiated a project home page: www.hnee.de/bl3b