The Registrar’s Office is the nerve center of the administrative system of the University. The Office of the Registrar is superintendent by the Registrar, who serves as the Chief Operating and Administrative Officer of the University and Secretary to the Council of the University. The Registrar’s Office is responsible, under the Vice-Chancellor, for the day-to-day administration and management of the University. To achieve this, the Registrar works in concert with and collaborates with other offices of the University’s Central Administration. The Registrar’s Office is made up of Divisions, Sub-Divisions and Centres. The Registrar is supported by a cadre of Administrators and Professionals made up of Deputy Registrars, Senior Assistant Registrars, Assistant Registrars and Junior Assistant Registrars who handle the various Divisions of the Office and service Committees and Boards of the University.
The Registrar is also assisted by various grades of Administrative Assistants and other staff who perform senior administrative and managerial roles in Academic Departments and Administrative Units on behalf of the Registrar. Services in the Registrar’s Offices are provided through open, collaborative, and accurate communication, respect for all, innovative improvements in efficiency and effectiveness, and an active commitment to an environment of collegiality and professionalism. In the process of discharging its duties, the Office of the Registrar subscribes to the highest ethical principles of maintaining accuracy, integrity, and security of all academic record and ensure full compliance with all University regulations.
In compliance with the Statutes, the duties and responsibilities of the Registrar include the following:
1. Preparation of student registration and admission materials, the maintenance of both soft and hard copies of such materials and overseeing the process of registration.
2. Coordination of orientation programmes for fresh students and new staff.
3. Preparation of the academic calendar and the distribution of semester reports.
4. Initiation of final graduation plans, the tabulation of classes and the award of honours.
5. Coordination of matriculation and congregation procedures and ceremonies.
6. Maintenance of students’ academic records permanently.
7. Issuance of academic certificates and transcripts.
8. Provision of secretarial services for the Office of Chancellor, the Council, all Boards and Committees of the Council and the Academic Board and its sub-committees and keeping records and conducting the correspondence on their behalf.
9. Provision of legal, public relation and human resources for effective functioning of the University.
10. Custodian of the University Seal and responsible for affixing it to documents in accordance with the directions of the Council, the Vice-Chancellor or the Academic Board in the exercise of their respective powers under the Act and Statutes and shall ensure.
The Registrar have the right to audience in the meetings of all University bodies.